Monday, November 23, 2015

NaBloPoMo #23: Perseverance

From an earlier prompt: What is the hardest part of a big project: getting the energy to begin, finding the time to work on it, or feeling down that it's over?

The hardest thing for me is getting a new project started. In science, sometimes this involves learning new techniques and sometimes it takes a while to quit researching the best way to do something and just try something! If it fails, you try something else.

A recent example: I was trying a new technique called CRISPR where you knock out a gene permanently and I used a product that turned the cells green (called green fluorescent protein, which was really cool) but ultimately it didn't work. 



I went and talked to a faculty member in our department about how he did it and I used his system and I have gotten it to work 3 times now. 

This figure shows that the protein I was trying to get rid of is gone in my two cell lines (B9 and C8) but is still there in our parental/control sample. We also checked for another protein which should be present in all 3 cell lines and it was.




No comments:

Post a Comment