Wednesday, April 11, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Collared


You know that feeling you get when you're knitting along that something is not quite right but you just ignore it thinking "well once it's off the needles it will look ok" but then when you are done you think "Man I wished I'd listened to that little voice inside my head". That's what's happened with my Something Blue collar. I kept thinking the bands at the bottom of the sweater looked too narrow and there was an odd wave to the middle. I picked up more stitches than directed (based on advice of a few ravelers but they used different yarn so it's not their fault). I also put more waist shaping in than the pattern called for so I'm not sure if that's part of the reason.

I saw one pattern on rav where the bands were the same width all the way around so I may try that (after picking up the correct number of stitches) or I may move the short rows higher up the front since my waist shaping detail is lower than the pattern called for because I'm long-waisted. I'd appreciate any advice on how to fix it!

But before redoing the collar, I'm going to knit up one sleeve first so that 

a) I get a break from 2 x 2 rib 

b) I won't run out of yarn for the sleeves because I made the collar too wide.

Sorry for the poor photo quality - I finished the bind off late last night so it was dark when I took the photos.





On a positive note: I cut the strips for the "X" block of the triple irish chain quilt and I like how it's coming together:



For more WIP be sure to check out Tami's Amis blog!

5 comments:

  1. I really like the color combo for the quilt - I'm looking forward to seeing that come together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is going to be beautiful!

    I found you through WIP Wednesdays. Here is my project of the week: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-tuesday-bunnys-birthday-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always ignore the little voices of doubt too. No advice here on how to fix it; I haven't mastered making things that fit properly yet LOL.

    I'm curious about your quilt. You've cut down to single squares but I'd have thought that you could do in strips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did sew strips together then I cut them into 2" sections which are shown. Next I'll sew the sections together to make the block.

      The pattern designer gave me some good advice on how to fix it :)

      Delete
  4. Awww, that it's annoying. But I ma like you too - when in doubt I carry on knitting and curse myself at the end for not listening. Do I ever learn..nah?
    But in the photo's the collar doesn't look too bad I actually thought it was supposed to be like that. Once you got your sleeves done you will breeze through the collar again!

    ReplyDelete