Friday, April 27, 2012

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week: Day 5

3KCBWDAY5 Something A Bit Different

This is an experimental blogging day to try and push your creativity in blogging to the same level that you perhaps push your creativity in the items you create.There are no rules of a topic to blog about but this post should look at a different way to present content on your blog. 

The Life of a Piece of Peace Fleece Yarn*

I was born as a tuft of wool on a sheep on a farm near Laku Sarat, Romania on June 5th, 2008.

It is a very large farm (900 ewes, rams and sheep!) so I had plenty of friends to play with. It rains a lot here and I got so tired of being wet. One morning I woke up and there was buzz of excitement in the air and a flurry of activity. A very nice man herded us from our lovely fields where we'd been hanging out and eating grass to a small building. I wondered what would happen next! I heard a loud buzzing sound so started to feel uneasy but it didn't hurt a bit! Suddenly I was separated from my sheep and thrown into a pile! Thankfully it was a warm day so the sheep I had just left would not be left cold without her coat. I had no idea what awaited me next!

I was packed in a canvas bag with a bunch of other fleece that was sewn shut. Then all of the bags were put onto an airplane and we flew for a very long time. I heard from others that we landed in Porter, Maine. I'm not too homesick because it's so beautiful here and it reminds me a little bit of Romania.

All of the bags were put into a barn and my bag sat and sat and sat, while others were taken one at time. Finally it was our turn! We were put into a VERY hot soapy bath, then rinsed several times. I don't think I've ever been this clean! Then we were laid in the sun to dry and that felt so nice. Next I was combed then twisted and spun into a long piece of yarn. I'd heard from my parents I'd grow up to be a beautiful piece of yarn and it finally happened. 

I was would into a skein then left alone for what seemed like days. I'd seen several of my friends go off and come back in many different colors. I wondered what color I'd be. At last it was my turn. I was dipped and prodded then hung to dry. As I was returned to the barn we passed by a mirror and I saw that I was a beautiful brick red with bits of black and brown. I heard one of the men say that I was named after a wonderful man who gave my owner in Maine mushrooms in the village of Sheplova, Russia. I was so proud! 

I sat for a few weeks wondering what would happen next. I was packed up again and took another airplane ride and I heard the pilot say we were in Durham, North Carolina. A very nice lady opened the box and she squealed when she saw me so I knew that I had a found a good home. 

Several of my brothers and sisters also came me with me, Latvian Lavender, Lauren's Coral, and Negotiation Gray, so I was not lonely. 

But which of us would she pick up first. Latvian thought it would be her but Lauren thought she was the favorite, but to all of our surprise she picked me! I heard her debate about what to do with me. Should she make something called Central Park Hoodie? She debated about it though because she did not want a sweater with a hood. Finally she saw something on a website called Ravelry (whatever that is) that someone else made the sweater with a collar not a hood so she was set. She placed me on a thing that felt like a merry-go-round and I was wound into a ball of yarn. That was fun!

I'd heard from my grandparents how they were turned from a piece of yarn into a beautiful garment and at last it was going to happen to me! She picked me up and with beautiful nickel plated needles over and over she pulled loops of yarn through existing loops. It look a very long time. Days, weeks, months went by then at last she said "Hooray all of the parts are done"! I thought I was done taking baths but nope we took another one, then she pinned us to a board and we were left to dry.

Then she took a long piece of yarn and sewed all of the pieces together.  Then she sewed some beautiful buttons on: I could scarcely believe it - I was a sweater! She wasn't able to wear it though because I heard her complain about how hot it was - 105 degrees! I was so excited to be a sweater that I didn't care.

I kept hearing her talk about a mysterious place called Scotland and how she hoped it would be cold when she visited so she could wear me. It turns out it was fairly warm but she was able to wear me to a very famous place: The Swilcan Bridge at St. Andrews Golf Course. It was very windy so she was very glad to have me on!

Now I'm just hanging out on shelf in the closet awaiting my next adventure!

*This post is a work of fiction and may not accurately reflect how Peace Fleece Yarn is made.


  1. sounds like a wonderful trip for the yarn

  2. What a fanatastic journey from sheep to sweater! :)

  3. And what an adventure! How wonderful to end up as Central Park Hoodie! And, such a lovely one too!

  4. Thank you for this wonderful story! I felt like I *was* that Peace Fleece. And your sweater is beautiful!

  5. Great idea. Your sweater is beautiful, too.

  6. Beautiful sweater, the yarn is a gorgeous colour

  7. Hahaha, the disclaimer made my day. What a great sweater and a fun story.